I recently read a great article from youthministry360 that discussed the roles that youth workers play in teenagers lives. Here is a quick recap of the roles:
- REINFORCER: You reinforce the message that their parents are telling them. However, because you are a non parent figure in their lives, it will make a different impact.
- DECOMPRESSOR: When we meet with students, we give them an opportunity to vent and decompress from what is going on in their lives. We have the opportunity then to reinforce the truth or point them to the truth.
- CONFIDANT: Students often struggle in confiding in their parents because they don't feel comfortable. As youth workers, we provide a safe place for students to confide in when they don't feel comfortable enough to talk with their parents.
- ROLE MODEL: We have the opportunity every week to model what it looks like to pursue Christ above all else. I often say that we have the ability to be the spiritual father or mother of students.
- TEACHER: We are able to teach students about the love of Christ and how to grow in that relationship.
These roles of essential in the live of teenagers. Click here to read the article. This got me thinking... What are other roles that youth workers play in the lives of teenagers? Can you think of any? Comment and let me know!